In 1928, at the height of Prohibition, the 5-8 Club opened amid the high living flapper era. The "speakeasy" served beer and liquor illegally, along with a light food menu. During its days as a "speak" it was an ordinary stucco house (the front door is still where it was originally) located out in the country on Cedar Avenue. Cars with trunks filled with bottles of illegal hootch packed in burlap bags (which made discarding easy in case "the Feds" showed up) could pull into the underground garage and take "the goods" upstairs.
In 1933 the 5-8 Club went "legit" and became widely known for its famous burgers and a wide selection of beers. Shortly before World War II, 58th Street was paved and the building "modernized" with a flat roof. In the mid-60s Cedar Avenue became a freeway, but the 5-8 is still known for its great burgers, famous beers, generous portions, and thoughtful service.
In 1996 this Minneapolis landmark was renovated, reinforced, and enlarged by Rolf Lokensgard Architecture and Larson Engineering of Minnesota. The underground garage discovered, the porch enclosed, kitchen and seating improved, code compliance achieved, but the menu and interior image unchanged.